Mindfulness in Stage 1
Posted on April 26, 2017
Rockdale Public School is excited to launch a Mindfulness program for all Stage 1 students!
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is about training yourself to pay attention in a specific way. When a person is mindful, they:
• Focus on the present moment
• Try not to think about anything that went on in the past or that might be coming up in future • Purposefully concentrate on what’s happening around them
• Try not to be judgmental about anything they notice, or label things as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ We spend so much time thinking over stuff that has happened in the past, or worrying about things that may happen in the future, that often we forget to appreciate and enjoy the moment. Mindfulness is a way of bringing us back to experience life as it happens.
Why do children need to learn mindfulness?
Research indicates that children (as well as adults) experience stress that can overwhelm them. Some possible causes of stress include being too busy, world news, family situation, pressure at school, poor sleep, etc.
When a child is overwhelmed by stress, they are unable to learn effectively. Mindfulness helps to counteract this stress.
When you’re mindful, it:
• Helps clear your head
• Helps you be more aware of yourself, your body and the environment
• Helps to slow down your thoughts
• Slows down your nervous system
• Helps you to concentrate
• Helps you relax
• Can help you cope with stress
• Can help improve memory
• And so much more! H
ow will Rockdale teach Mindfulness? Each week, Stage 1 students will spend 15 minutes learning a new mindfulness technique. We will then reinforce that technique by practicing each day. Thanks to ReachOut for the above definition of Mindfulness. http://au.reachout.com/what-is-mindfulness