Attendances and Absences


If a child is away from school for more than two (2) consecutive days, then a doctor’s certificate needs to be provided to the school when your child returns back to school.


If you plan on taking your child/children out of school for an extended period of time for a family vacation, please be aware that the Department of Education and Communities has guidelines which need to be followed. Prior to making any travel arrangements please stop by the school office and pick up an Application for exemption from attendance at school form. Fill it in, and then return it to the office A.S.A.P.

If your child/children will be away for less than fourteen (14) school days then a written note or email to the school is all that is required along with the dates your child/children will be away.

If your child/children are going to be away for more than fourteen (14) school days, then an ‘APPLICATION FOR EXEMPTION FROM ATTENDANCE AT SCHOOL’ form needs to be filled in and handed in to the school office for authorisation from the Principal.

If your child/children will be away for more than twenty (100) school days then along with the ‘APPLICATION FOR EXEMPTION FROM ATTENDANCE AT SCHOOL’ form, copies of travel documents need to be provided.

Exemption form (pdf, 71 KB)(more than 14 days)

Missing school means your child misses out on vital information and maintaining learning routines. This can result in a loss of confidence and missing out on forming vital friendships.

Attendance is recorded each day. As a parent or caregiver you are responsible for ensuring your child attends school every day, including sports days unless your child:

  • has an unavoidable medical or dental appointment (preferably these should be made after school or during holidays)
  • is required to attend a recognised religious holiday
  • is required to attend an exceptional or urgent family circumstance (such as attending a funeral)
  • is sick, or has an infectious illness.

If you are having difficulty getting your child to attend school regularly, you might like to talk to the school principal or the school counsellor.

If your child has to be absent from school for any reason, including arriving late or leaving early, please either tell your child’s teacher or the administration assistant at our school, or explain the reason by phone, email, or written note as soon as possible, or within seven days.

If your child is away for more than two days due to illness, a doctor’s certificate is required along with an absent note.